STRAWBERRY JAM WITH SCENTED GERANIUM LEAVES
(Makes 5-6 jars)
1kg strawberries, hulled–any large ones halved
4-6 sweet scented geranium leaves
100ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 sachet pectin
15-20gr butter (optional)
1. Place the strawberries, geranium leaves and lemon juice in a roomy, heavy-bottomed pan or preserving pan.
The strawberries should be no more than a third of the way up the pan to allow for a rapid rise when a rolling boil is reached.
2. Very lightly crush the strawberries with a potato masher to break them up a little.
Place the pan on a gentle heat and add the sugar. Stir until the sugar has fully dissolved.
3. Increase the heat and bring the pan to a full rolling boil (when the surface is covered with a mass of foamy bubbles).
Boil for 8-9 mins or until setting point is reached.
To check for setting point, drop a little jam on a cold saucer.
Allow to cool for a minute and then push gently with your fingertip. If the jam crinkles, setting point has been reached.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and if the surface is scummy, add a knob of butter and stir gently until the scum has dispersed.
5. Put in warm sterilised jars and seal immediately.