100g each red and blackcurrants
450g strawberries, hulled
150g caster sugar
9 thin slices white bread (best with day-old bread), crusts removed.
1.Remove stalks from red & blackcurrants with tine of fork, reserving a few strings for decoration.
2. Cut strawberries to suitable size; put all fruit into saucepan.
Add sugar + 3 tbsp water and simmer for about 5 mins, stirring, till fruits are just tender and juices start to come out.
3. Line base of 1.25lt pudding basin with greaseproof paper and dampen sides of basin with water.
Cut circle of bread to fit base.
Halve other slices of bread, reserve 4 halves and arrange rest in strips round sides of basin, overlapping slightly to make it hold and pressing well in place.
4. Spoon fruit into cavity, packing it in firmly. Pour over juices, reserving a few tbsp.
5. Place basin on large plate. Arrange reserved bread to cover fruit completely, trimming to fit. Use plate that fits inside basin and weight it heavily (bag of sugar or 2 tins of food).
Leave to chill overnight in fridge.
6. Remove weights and plate. Carefully run thin knife round sides of pudding.
Shortly before serving (so it doesn’t sag) turn gently out onto serving plate. Remove paper.
Paint any patches of white bread with reserved juices and decorate with reserved strings of redcurrants.
Serve with lightly whipped double cream, if liked.